Duran Family

Duran Family

Sunday, March 06, 2005

Let me catch up on family news.

Whew, I made it through last week! If you don't mind, I'm going to catch you up on some news and decisions we made this last week.

On Tuesday last week, my best friend M. and her kids (Tony's best friends) and I went ice-skating followed by a visit to a book fair put on by Abeka books. If you remember, Tony's school program uses Abeka. Our best friends also use Abeka, though they use just the books and not the DVD's like we do. While there, I was able to sample the newly revised first grade materials for next year. This included an updated DVD program. The new teacher is a young lady, dynamic, fast-paced and uses many visual cues. This is exactly what Tony needs. I am excited by the change. The previous DVD teacher was an older lady, ready to retire. She was good but not exciting.

Speaking of school (and work) I did go to the open house mentioned earlier. It was a nice facility, a little cramped in places, and a few of the classrooms lacked windows. I felt Tony would do very well there, but my goodness, it is twenty miles away! Angelo stayed with Tony so he didn't participate in the open house, but I shared with him what I discovered, especially all the good stuff. I was really trying to persuade Angelo to send Tony even though I was still torn. Thursday evening Angelo told me he felt that Tony is really still too young to attend school somewhere else. As much as we need a second income, Angelo believes that staying home with Tony is the best thing. So I reenrolled Tony into first grade at Abeka Academy (the homeschool DVD program). His first day of school will be the day after Labor Day in September.

Oh yeah, Thursday - that was co-op. M. and her husband, Lee had an all-day meeting to attend so they dropped their kids off at our house early. I took them to co-op, and after lunch we went to the library for school. We piled into a study room and spent the next three hours working on studies.

The big shocking news of the week was M and Lee. They decided suddenly to move. Not out of the area, but to a different neighborhood. They do have three kids in a tiny little house. They do need more room, but this move seems so sudden. They are working hard to get their house in order to put up to market, but they aren't going to buy until this fall. If their house sells quickly, they may be without an address for a couple months until they find a house and buy.

This week hopefully will be more quiet. The music class at our local college doesn't meet this week because of spring break, and there is no co-op or music lesson this week. I'm glad, because I need some sleep.

Finally, I've got some home school materials for sale on eBay. If you're interested, let me know.

No comments: