Duran Family

Duran Family

Friday, March 18, 2005

It's the other end of the week.

This has been one of our "busy weeks", as you can tell by the lack of entries. There was school of course, "college class," ice-skating, music lesson, co-op with spring program, my tutoring, and a research bug I'm on. I'll get to that in a second.

The Co-op kids had their spring program yesterday. About 30 kids participated in presenting music, skits, readings, speeches, and poems. Tony recited a cute little poem by Dorothy Aldis. I was very impressed with how bold he was, his expression, his gestures and his clarity of speech even with his little lisp. I was a typical mother with buttons popping off my shirt.

Oh, the other kids did very well, too. Tony's friend, J. was so cute when she, halfway through her little introduction to her piano piece said, "Mommy, what was I going to say next?" Her little five-year-old fingers played a very nice rendition of Ode to Joy.

I mentioned I am on a research bug. In conversations with friends, my dad and others I have wondered how the schools run by my religious denomination fared with other nondenominational schools. I have spent a lot of time this week researching the Internet for posted test scores of both types of schools. I have come up with some very interesting data, but not enough to make anything more than very broad generalizations. I am going to keep working on this, and if I can find enough data, I might be able to write a semi-academic paper on this.

Finding some of the data especially from my church's schools will be hard because they don't readily release that type of information. And since I am not a family member asking for the data from a particular school, nor am I part of a academic institution working on a graduate degree (I already have my Master's degree) they aren't particularly fond of letting the data go.

Oh well, I will do the best I can and come up with conclusions based on what I find.

One more piece of information. Tony may have a classmate for school next year. It is entirely possible that the girl I'm tutoring will come back to me for school. I had her a couple years at my house for Kindergarten and first grade, and then had her in school for second. I really hope this will be the case. Here's keeping my fingers crossed!

No comments: