Rather than explain more I took the forms and the number she gave me, took Tony in hand and sat in the waiting area. We waited an hour for my number to be called. When it was, I took Tony in hand, forms in the other and explained why I was there. The guy also looked confused, took my forms, and disappeared for twenty minutes. I tried to keep Tony occupied, mentally drummed my fingers on the counter and watched tick after slow tock slip past on the clock in front of me.
He finally returned with the same forms I was handed earlier. I carefully explained to him in my best elementary English that those forms were for people being deployed. What I brought in was a form downloaded off the state website for temporary custody IN CASE Angelo and I were not able to care for Tony for a short period of time. I told the state workers that for a small fee, my forms would be filed with the state and a designator would be put on our driver's license so that if anything should happen the state would know that we have designated guardians for Tony so that he is not placed in objectionable foster care.
This guy left again and called the state to make sure what I was saying was true. He came back about five minutes later, and told me that before they would accept this, both Angelo and I had to be there to file these papers together. So I left, with Tony in one hand and my forms, plus two more forms in the other. UGH, the state and it's red tape!
So tomorrow Angelo and I will go back with the forms and a printout of the state law allowing us to do this so that I don't have to go through the hassle of explaining it again. I didn't realize that what we are trying to do is so unusual that I have to explain to state employees what to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment