I was back at Sally's last night. In case you missed my previous post "At Peace," I have said No to working with her and her siblings next year. This includes one-night a week tutoring and full time homeschooling.
When I walked into her room, a playpen met my eyes. I asked her about it and she told me that not only does she babysit her baby sister during the day, but also her two nephews (age two and nine months.)
Later, we talked about next year. It sounds like she is going to go to MY Town SDA School while her younger brother (Sam) and sister (Darla) will be staying in public school.
She told me, "After school, I will have one hour to do my homework, and then I'll be babysitting my baby sister and nephews until Darla gets home, then Darla will watch baby sister while I take care of the nephews."
Darla will be in second grade next year. I can only shake my head.
Oh, and get this. When I was talking with the mom, Ellen, about the choir and Sam's placement in it next year, the dad, Steve walked in. "Hi," he said to me, interrupting the conversation. I looked at him briefly and replied, "Hi."
It's "Hi, Steve." He stated. With his thick Russian accent I didn't quite catch what he said and had to think about it for a second. By the time I got it figured out in my head, all I could say was "Oh," and turned back to Ellen.
Here's the last eyebrow raiser of the evening. Ellen admitted to me last night that they were hoping I would continue on tutoring Sally until the completion of her school year... in July.
I. Don't. Think. So.
1 comment:
I feel sorry for those kids having to babysit--no wonder their schooling isn't going very well. But you are right to get yourself out of the situation; it sounds like a MESS!!
Post a Comment