I was Sally's house last night tutoring. As she does every week, she called beforehand asking if "we have tutoring tonight." I told her we did, and reminded her to have her book report printed out. She had about an hour and half before I showed up.
After arriving at her house and peeking at her three-week-old sister, we went down to Sally's room. I asked her for her book report and out came the excuses. I put a stop to it and really got on her case about responsibility.
After two hours complete with an passing English test and a failing definition test, we went upstairs to talk to Sally's mom. I told mom I was irritated at not having the materials I requested, that I couldn't do what they had hired me to do. Mom tried to give excuses, but I interrupted to state that I had requested this work last week.
I then turned to Sally and passionately explained why I'm hard - strict. I told about how gold is refined in the fire - not a pleasant experience for gold, but gold ore becomes a beautiful mineral. I also referred to Proverbs 31 - "a woman of virtuous character." It was enough for her mom to weep in the background - grateful for someone to implore her daughter to do her best.
At the end of my heartfelt outpouring, Sally looks at me and says, "Oh, Ok. Whatever."
No wonder I have a hard time going back there week after week.
1 comment:
Times that by 170 and you have my life. (some days)
Post a Comment