Duran Family

Duran Family

Saturday, November 08, 2008

Political Politeness

At choir this morning, another mother started talking about the results of the recent election. Now, I'm not going to share my opinion on the matter, that's not the point. The other mother, C. made very clear what she thought of the results, and started sharing jokes that are flying around the internet and email. She was cracking them to me and laughing while I stood there, trying to be polite but felt rather uncomfortable. Behind her other parents were busy with this that and the other, obviously overhearing what she said.

I felt bad. I don't know how these other people voted, nor should I know. But I have to assume they voted for the president-elect. The jokes C. were cracking may have been offensive to those people. I didn't know what to do, but I didn't freely laugh with her. Maybe I should have done more, I don't know; but I was glad when some task called me away.

3 comments:

Margaret said...

That is hard. I try not to get involved in jokes or criticisms of either politician when I'm in a mixed group. I usually excuse myself and move away.

Wendy said...

A friend recently emailed me a negative political commentary and I decided to email her back and ask her to not do that. I've felt awkward ever since. I think you probably handled it just fine. If it were to happen again, I'd speak up.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad the election is over, so that these sticky situations will starty to die down.