Duran Family

Duran Family

Friday, November 14, 2008

Frustrated and a little angry.

Here's the opening scene. Mid-October, after a chaotic meeting at the choir building, Mr. Interim Executive Director asked if I would be willing to type in the bios of about 120 boys for our souvenir program book. I agreed and asked when I should have it back. He told me the end of October. I said I wanted to get it back in earlier because I would like to have someone else proofread what I typed in. Another staff member said to email the bios to him and he would proofread it. I agreed and we went our ways.

Scene 2: Over the next couple nights, I stay up working hard to get the bios typed. I had about 220 characters to work with for each bio. Sometimes I had to work creatively to make 220 characters, having to pick from a wealth of information; other times having to write many words to cover scant information. Finally all bios are done and sent to the other staff member.

Scene 3: This past Tuesday. Mr. I.E.D. handed me a draft of the program book asking if I could proofread it and give it back to him. "It would be nice if you could get it done tonight," he told me. Tuesday night we had another long meeting of a choir organization of which I am the secretary. So I couldn't skip out of the meeting and proofread, I had to be there, pay attention and take notes. By the time I got home and to the book it was nearly 10:30. I spent most of my time on the introduction, and history of the book; and noted some inconsistent capitalization within the boys' bios, but not paying attention to anything else, thinking that the boys' bios were done. I emailed the changes.

Scene 4. Last night, I took a few minutes to read the bios and enjoy an early copy of the book. To my horror, I discovered that one Alto is an Alot, as well as some awkward wording and missed commas. I emailed Mr. I.E.D about them as quickly as I could, but he had already uploaded the book to the printers. He's not in today to stop the book from going to the press. So now, we have a mistake-filled book being printed. That book is going to businesses and the public. The mistakes will be a reflection on the choir (and ultimately me since my parents will be getting a copy and they are, of all things, professional proofreaders.) So, I'm angry at myself for not catching everything the first time around, and frustrated at the other staff who said he would proofread for me and didn't.

About 95% of the book is OK, (I hope,) but it's that 5% that is going to be glaring. I wish there was someway I could convince Mr. I.E.D. to make arrangements to stop the book until the changes are made. I feel awful because this is a reflection on the whole choir, and I'm responsible.

~~~ UPDATE~~~

Mr. IED got the book stopped and I'm working as hard as I can to catch all the mistakes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is there anyone else you can go to-like another staff member...get into his computer to contact the printer company...think outside the box...what options do you have-etc? Praying for you!!!

Unknown said...

Glad to hear that you were able to get the printing stopped! I agree, I would be frustrated too, especially since you have already worked so hard on it!

Margaret said...

I would hate that too. I'm glad that it worked out. I guess you can't trust some people.

Mama of 2 said...

I'm glad to hear that the printing of the books has been stopped. I would be upset as well and also a little angry at the individual that said they would originally proofread for you.

Don't work too hard okay? Seems to me you are stretched pretty thin as it is.

Anonymous said...

I doubt that it's a big deal to anyone but you.