Now that Tony is wading into the world of concert performances, I need to take steps to become a good concert parent. What makes a good concert parent? I don't know, but here are my ideas.
Do: Make sure your child is to rehearsals on time. Once there, let him go.
Don't: Hover around the rehearsal room checking to see if he's singing or his nose needs wiping.
Do: Everything you can to help the organization run smoothly. Help fold newsletters, orient other new parents, be friendly to all. Support fundraisers. If you have questions, try to ask them at less-busy time. Call, if you need, and keep the conversation short.
Don't: Be obnoxious, demanding the staff's time.
Do: Acquaint yourself with the policies of the organization. Think ahead; are cameras allowed at concerts? Are parents expected to be early? Are hands-on or hands-off parents preferred at concerts?
Don't: Assume you are free to do what you want.
Do: Let the conductors and teachers teach your boy. Seek ways to enhance the teaching at home.
Don't: Interrupt lessons to explain a "better" way, or to scold. Your boy will do better if you are out of the room during lesson time.
For example with Tony singing for the first time this weekend at a Catholic church, I would like to get pictures and a video of him. However not being a Catholic, I am not familiar with the policies and practices of picture taking at a Catholic church, I don't know what is acceptable. So I called the church where the boys will be singing. They appreciated the call and gave me the information I was seeking.
No comments:
Post a Comment