Duran Family

Duran Family

Thursday, July 26, 2007

To be Thankful

Frankly, I've been struggling with finding something to write about that won't break me down into tears. I could easily title the post "Desperation." But it wouldn't be right. Not that what I have to say is so private it can't be shared; rather, while selling the home and earning more money seem beyond our reach, we really have much to be thankful for. It's also somehow strangely reassuring to know that another family in our church is as bad off as we are right now. Their carpet cleaning business fell with the housing market, and after selling their home they are actually "house sitting" right now for a friend . I was talking to her the other day, and she told me that their vehicle is so expensive to drive they are using their bikes whenever possible. (You read between the lines on that one.)

(An aside: I read somewhere that if stay-at-home moms got paid for the work they do in the home their salary would be in the six-digits. Oh wouldn't that be nice!)

As for us, we have not had to fill up with gas in nearly two weeks - something that is unheard of for Angelo's car. He usually has to fill up once a week. Payday is tomorrow. Angelo's paycheck will fill the hole in our account with just a few dollars left over. I have several utility bills that need to be paid before services are cut off.

We don't do credit cards, so at least that is debt we don't have to worry about. Though several times this past week they sure have been tempting. Then I read some horror report about horrible interest rates and how CC companies treat customers with less than stellar credit reports, and I'm glad we stay away from them.

We have a showing tonight - please PRAY for us - especially pray that the window won't leak because of the heavy rains due to come today.

Tony

But - enough of that. Let's talk about something better - like Tony. I always like to talk about our son. Ever since he was a young child he has a simple, childlike love for God. The first time he witnessed a baptism (by immersion) in our church, he was about three-years-old. Ever since that time he has wanted to be baptized. Angelo and I were delighted at his desire, but clearly we knew he was too young to understand the significance of baptism. I told him that when he was old enough to read the Bible, then he could be baptized. Well, just a year and a half later, when he was four and reading his first words he very excitedly came to me. "Look Mommy, I can read the Bible!" he said as he opened up his child's Bible and read "the", "and," "a". "Now can I be baptized?" Hmmm, guess we need to come up with another scheme to not discourage him by saying "no, you are too young."

So for the past couple years, we've been studying the Bible, completing Bible study workbooks for kids, and learning basic Christian beliefs. This week Tony and our pastor met for a while to talk. At the end of our talk, Tony and I were told that he is indeed ready for baptism. (Would this be the same as confirmation in other churches? I don't know as I have always been an Adventist.)

So now we start planning. Tony would like the camp director of the summer camp he just attended be a part of this special event, so this will not be an immediate happening. In the meantime we will continue to study, learn and review.

Third grade is NOT second grade

Tony is realizing that third grade this year is NOT second grade. Instead of Math taking twenty minutes, done in class, he now has a 40-minute class, and it takes him an additional twenty minutes to get the assignment done. Mommy also is stepping up with the times. I insist on complete sentences for answers, and I have to see evidence of book study in his answers. He has a highlighter with him, and I check his highlighting skills for study purposes.

It's been quite an adjustment for him, but don't worry, I'm helping him through the adjustment period. Several times he's asked if he could revert to second grade policies, but I won't let him.

Like I mentioned earlier grades K4-2 are considered the "Lower School" with activity times, reading circles and limited tests and quizzes. Grades three -six are the "Middle School" with single reading groups, no more activity time, tests and quizzes in multiple subjects, simple projects and book reports. Grades 7-12 are the "Upper School" with in depth research projects, periodic current event reports/editorials, and college prep textbooks.

DeeDee

Our energetic 15-month old is certainly around. She is starting to insist on using a spoon, loves her bread (she recently started rejecting the crusts), and likes to be with her brother. She has her own little table set up with a plastic shoebox full of crayons, coloring books and stickers. My old portable DVD player is set up so she can watch Baby Einstein DVD's. She is learning how run the little machine by trying to change the discs.

The short end of it all

We have struggles, and those struggles can at times be overwhelming, especially when Angelo pouts "I don't like rice" when we don't have more than a few cents to buy a loaf of 99-cent bread. But there is much to be thankful for. God is taking care of us, and He will see us through this.

No comments: