Duran Family

Duran Family

Monday, April 30, 2007

Give my mommy's purse back to her!!!!

I'm sorry I haven't posted the last couple days. Frankly I've been a bit discouraged about the house, Tony's birthday party, and about life in general. We had a showing a week ago Friday, last Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and yesterday. I don't have any feedback and that lack of information is discouraging.

I had chance to talk to Grandma C over the weekend, and asked her about her party. She went on and on about how many people there were, all the good food, and the program her sons put on for her. Finally she asked me about Tony's party. "Did all his friends show up?" She asked me. What could I tell her? "Only half his friends showed up," I told her. "But he says he had a good time."

Just like I knew she would, she became upset that his friends didn't put in an appearance. "I won't have a party next year," she told me. "Please, invite me to his party next year."

At Tony's request I sent out an email inquiry to his "friends" asking if they would be interested in a "frindship party" next Sunday. I haven't heard a word back.

But that has nothing to do with the the title of my post. To add to my depressing thoughts, last night I was sure I was the world's worst mother, when DeeDee fell off the changing table (actually an old desk or vanity built into the wall in our room.) She landed with a horrendous thump and immediately started screaming. It took us about two minutes to decide to take her to the ER after she seemed dazed and her eyes were out of focus and "funny."

For the next five hours we waited, were seen by the medical personnel, waited some more, told my story four or five times, corrected wrong versions two or three times, waited some more, played with DeeDee, rocked her, let her listen to the music on my cell phone. In the end, the doctors decided she should have a CAT scan to make sure there are no closed head injuries as her right eye was becoming swollen and bruised. So she had an IV port inserted so she could be sedated when she went in for a CAT scan. The IV nurse was so kind and gentle; and he even brought in a little stuffed animal for her to hold and take home. Little piggy became a comforting compainion.

On the way down to the CAT scan room, the nurse walking with us offered to take my short strapped purse as it fell off my shoulder and down to my arm as I picked up DeeDee. I thanked her as she took it off my arm. DeeDee was in fits when she saw that nurse picked up MY purse. She screamed and kicked and arched her back and reached out trying to get my purse back. When I realized what was going on, I had the lady slip my purse back onto my shoulder. As soon as the strap was secure, DeeDee settled down knowing that everything was OK; her mommy had her purse again.

I had never seen such a thing like this before and it assured me that our dear daughter will be alright.

Once we got to the CAT scan, our strong-willed daughter did not want to submit to the Verset and other sedation drugs. The nurse came in three times to inject more medication into the IV port before she finally went to sleep. I stood by the machine in a heavy lead apron holding an oxygen tube to her nose as they were concerned about her blood oxygen levels due to the amount of the medication.

Afterward, I carried her back to her room and waited about another 40 minutes while the results of the CAT scan were being tabulated and DeeDee slept off the drugs. She finally stirred a little bit and we were discharged about 11:00 last night.

The CAT scan showed no bruising on the brain and no cracked skull; the two things we were worried about. She will have a bump on her forehead for a while and a humdinger of a black eye that will take a while to go away.

She is fine this morning, walking and talking and playing with brother. Her puffy eye is very visible, but she is acting normally.

No comments: