Duran Family

Duran Family

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

In defense of motherhood/teacherhood

Received this evening:

Hi VJ, it's MJ. We met last summer. My daughter was the on who was suspended in 1st grade. We put her back in for 2nd grade and they are pushing us to put her on meds. I don't understand. I want to home school but don't feel confident that I can do it and afford to do it. My husband and I can barely cover our monthly bills the way it is now. Can you help me out? I need to know what to do and how to start. Thank you for your time.

My response:

Hi MJ, Yes, I remember you. Thank you for emailing me. As far as confidence is concerned, there are a couple things to remember; as a parent, you are already training and teaching your little girl. Don't be scared away by the term "teacher." You are a mom, first and foremost. Being a mom means you are teaching your child to obey, to have good manners, to be respectful. That's part of education. As a mom, I'm sure you spend time reading to her at bedtime, telling Bible stories, studying her Sabbath School lesson. That's part of education. As a mom, you are teaching her nutrition and healthful living through your diet and exercise and play time. That's part of education.

Thank you so much for emailing me. As we correspond I will be very happy to help you set up a program for your daughter. As I have time I can research websites that offer free activities, or help you find materials within a budget.

Again, thanks for emailing me; and remember, as a mom, you are already a teacher.

No comments: