Duran Family

Duran Family

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Friend's a'comin'; It's OK to break down.

Entry two of three

Yesterday afternoon, DeeDee had had enough (or maybe she just had a huge bubble in her tummy.) She started to cry and it was just at the beginning of the evening service - the last meeting of Church Outing, and the one event I wanted to really attend. I pulled out the bottle, nope, not interested. The pacifer? She spat it out. Let's walk and bounce. "If you want, but I'm still going to cry." I took her to the foyer, and finally outside once I saw the rain let up. She didn't. I walked her, I patted her back, I sang songs, she kept crying.

As I wore a path in the sidewalk in front of the building, I noticed off in the distance a friend coming. A friend from my church. The friend who sat beside me when Dee was a week old, and held her for me. A good friend. The tears came to my eyes as I felt like someone understood and I could get help. My friend approached me and I broke down. She right away asked what the matter was, and I through, my sheepish tears told her I was tired, and Dee was tired. "Do you want me to take her?" my friend asked. I could only nod as I held my precious daughter out to my friend. "You go in and enjoy the program," I was told. "I'll take care of Dee Dee." With a grateful smile and an apology that I had caused the scene (which, I was told was perfectly OK.) I went in, and was filled with joy at the words I heard.

About 20 minutes later my friend came in with a now sleeping DeeDee. My daughter was carefully transfered into my arms and my friend went about her duties.

I will be forever grateful for my friends. Those people who helped me load and unload my van, who held my daughter so I could eat, who cared for her so I could rest, and who walked my son back and forth to class with their kids, so I could take care of DeeDee. It made for a great church outing.

No comments: