Duran Family

Duran Family

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

It could have been really bad

After school today, Tony and I did the usual routine of music practice and homework. After he and I practiced the piano (he practiced, I kept him on track) we had a quick supper. Afterward I sent him off to his desk to get his math problems done. Very shortly afterward I heard a strange cracking noise and saw the kitchen lights flicker.

That was immediately followed by a wailing "MOM-MY!!!" Tony came into the kitchen with big eyes and opened mouth. He tried to tell me what happened, but his words were swallowed up by big sobs that poured out his mouth.

I caught something about a spotlight for the Christmas tree, fire and "I'm a bad boy." I led him to the living room and looked around. I saw nothing unusual except for a burnt out light on the light pole, and smelled nothing dangerous, so I again asked him what happened.

Poor Tony couldn't keep the sobs away, as they again snuck out. I knelt down to more Tony's size and told him it was very important to understand what he was saying so he needed to stop crying. He shuddered a deep breath and finally told me that he was trying to adjust one of the lamps on the light pole so that it would shine on the Christmas tree, when suddenly it snapped, popped and blue fire flashed from it.

I took a closer look and did indeed see evidence of flame discoloring the white enamel on the pole. I quickly unplugged the light and reached up to unscrew the light bulb.

Tony again accused himself of being a bad boy. I took him into my arms and assured him that he was a good boy for telling me. The light pole was very old and something had just finally decided to quit working.

When Angelo got home we explained what happened, and he took a good look at the situation. What I saw made me realize how bad it really could have been. The wiring was charred, the lamp was blackened, and the insulation was melted.

If the light had been any closer to the tree, the flashing flame could have caught the tree on fire, seriously burnt Tony, or any other really bad possibilities.

As it was we had to go to Targe* and buy a replacement light pole. The one we got was cheap (all we could afford right now) and really kind of ugly. But it was five lights on it instead of three, so we will live with it for now.

I just thank God that my precious son and our house is safe.

No comments: