Duran Family

Duran Family

Sunday, November 14, 2004

That Music Thing

Do you remember when I announced I quit the music team at my church? Well, I'm back doing it, sort of. I'm singing, not playing my flute...or was singing instead of playing my flute....maybe I'm still singing, I don't know yet.

I know, sounds confusing. Here's what happened. Four weeks ago, a close friend who is part of the Praise Team mentioned to me she missed my flute playing. I briefly explained why I wasn't playing, and she told me that they needed singers. "What do you sing?" she asked.

"Soprano" I replied. "But...."

"Great! We need more sopranos" she told me as she grabbed my hand. "C'mon, we need to go!" I felt like I was flying through the air as she pulled me down to the praise team meeting room. Before I could really tell her I have NO experience in singing up front with a microphone in my hand and bright lights shining in my eyes, I'm up front with a microphone in my hand and bright lights shining in my eyes.

Let me tell you, it was a very weird experience. I was petrified, excited, concerned, afraid and everything else in between. The thoughts running through my head were a blur as I tried to look like I was having fun while at the same time realizing my hand was clenched into a fist, and oops, I missed that rest. Before I could even take a breath, the five songs were sung and I followed everyone else off stage.

Anyway, I've sung twice more up front since then, and each time it is getting better. But then why the confusion at the beginning of this post. Well, because after a passionate (meaning intense out of frustration) and extended conversation with the music director on behalf of the lone wind instrumentalist left in the praise team, he provided the song list for next week AND the music for it as well. Hmm, do I sing or do I play?

No comments: