Tony mentioned in his blog that today is his daddy’s birthday. We spent the afternoon making a birthday cake, blowing up balloons, and getting a few presents together. This evening we celebrated quietly with a song, the cake and the giving of gifts.
In a quiet moment before going out to run errands Tony asked me, “Mommy, how do the numbers inside us change? Is there something that goes around and around changing our numbers?”
It took me a second to figure out what he was talking about. How does he get from four years old to five years old; how do I get from 3x to 3y; and how does Daddy get from 3y to 3z?
I tried to explain that there isn’t a dial inside that clicks our numbers; rather, we just keep track of how many years we’ve been around. I used his birth date as an example, and told him that each time that day comes around he’s been with us for another year. I’m not sure he fully understands, but he does know there’s no little dial clicking off the numbers.
August happy moment: Angelo liked the birthday presents we got him.
No comments:
Post a Comment