Duran Family

Duran Family

Thursday, September 03, 2015

Minnesota Conference does not support homeschoolers

Here is an exchange of emails I tried to have with the president of the Minnesota conference over the reason why homeschoolers are not allowed to attend outdoor school. 

Justin,
Why are homeschoolers not allowed to attend outdoor school?
Last year, homeschoolers weren't even aware that the conference had such a program.  When I talked to Connie about it, she told me that homeschoolers were welcomed to do their own thing but she was focused on the students in the bricks and mortar schools.  I felt it was a quite the brush off she gave me, and I was offered by it.
This year, I spent quite a bit of time on the phone with Mindy Salyers who felt very pressured to run the program even with her family's challenges and her own inexperience conducting such events
            Again she declined to include the homeschooling community that exists within the conference and that is a horrible shame.
I have spoken to other homeschoolers, and this continued exclusion increases the perception that the officials of the MN conference do not care or support the homeschoolers within the conference.  Some feel isolated and rejected, especially those in the far reaches of the state that need the conference's support the most.
Now I have been told that since the lodge at NSC is being torn down, prior to September 14, there will be no place to feed the kids.  Why can't homeschoolers bring their own food and lodging, pay the fees and take part?
I just don't get it.
Please explain why the Minnesota Conference doesn't allow its homeschoolers access to school activities.  I hope the conference realizes by excluding them is to turn away not only young people, but to limit its resources for growth in its schools.
Vicky Duran

          His reply?  A bunch of non-answers.  It’s sickening.

Hi Vicky,
Thank you for your message.  I'm glad that you see the value of our outdoor school.  You've raised some good questions.  We will discuss these internally as we consider the stewardship of our education program.  Blessings to you.
Justin


No comments: