Duran Family

Duran Family

Friday, January 09, 2015

It's all in the attitude

So, we had a snowstorm yesterday.  A couple inches of snow and a lot of wind...It's been bitterly cold around these parts as well; wind chills well into the 20's below zero.

Thursdays are the day the kids and I go see their adopted grandmother, Miss Mary and her housemates.  They live about 35 minutes away in good traffic.  As is my custom, I call before leaving, just to make sure the ladies are healthy, and that our coming when cause any inconvenience.  We were given the all clear to come.  

I then called the office of DeeDee's choir to make sure they didn't cancel rehearsal as other after-school events were cancelling due to the weather and greasy roads.  The office manager said everything was a go.

So, DeeDee and I started out.  It was slow going, to be sure, but I took the roads carefully and felt confidant that we would be OK.   Then my cell phone rang.  DeeDee took the call as I was driving in a snowstorm.  The call was from Miss Mary's home; they have two ill, so  it would probably be better if we didn't show up.  Oh, well, I guess the head care assistant would have more say than one of younger assistants who answered the phone earlier.

Now we have about two hours to kill before rehearsal so we headed to the Target nearest to the high school where the choir rehearses and hung out.  About a half hour into our daughter/mother time at Target, I got an email on my phone saying that rehearsal was cancelled.  I was two miles from the high school!

Now, I have a choice to make as DeeDee and I braved the chilling winds to get back to the van.  Get all grumpy and complain that I went on a needless and dangerous drive for two cancelled events, or make a decision to turn lemons into lemonade.  For DeeDee's sake and my own, I chose to look at this as a special time between my daughter and myself.   It took almost three times as long to get home as it normally does, but we got home safely.  We had a good time, had a great conversation, and learned more about the Panama Canal and Teddy Roosevelt as we listened to Your Story Hour stories.

No comments: