Those of you who are regular readers to my blog are well aware of my criticism of formal Adventist Education. In the last day or so, an article appeared in the Christian Science Monitor about this very topic - Adventist Education. The author of this opinion piece is one of the researchers of a multi-year research study called Cognitive Genesis. The school sponsoring the study is LaSierra University, an Adventist institution.
If you want to read the article go here. I read it and left my comments which similarly echo the comments left by other readers.
I use a user name so as not to reveal my identity, but my pastor picked me out anyway. He sent me an email this morning that left left me with a strong impression that he was rather upset by my choice of words.
My first thought after reading his rebuke was "So, truth be told, or hide the dirty little secret." His email to me made more sure my belief that the attitude of Adventist educators (of which he is one) is "we are the best...NO! Don't look there...or there...just look here....educators in the world."
I love my church and will protect its beliefs. I am raising my children to love the SDA church as well, and to value the time we spend in corporate worship. However, I will educate my children in the best spiritual and academic environment possible, and will not bend to any peer pressure to do otherwise. Nor will I hide dirty little secrets, if those secrets exposed will force positive change in the institution.
1 comment:
I'm going to read it soon. Still working on my quizzes.
Post a Comment