Duran Family

Duran Family

Thursday, September 16, 2010

MY birthday present

So it was my birthday last week.  My parents gave me $100 as a present.  I knew what I wanted - a set of four wireless speakers with transmitter from Costco.com.  They just so happened to be on sale, so I used the money for these four small speakers.  It is our first resemblance of a stereo system in our house.  Well, they arrived yesterday thanks to the brown shipping company.  Tony, as his tendency was very excited and quickly took over the unpacking of MY birthday gift.  I stopped him, reminding him that these speakers are for MY birthday and maybe I wanted to pull the speakers out of the box.

Tony pouted.  Big time.  "I really think these speakers should belong to the whole family," he stated through that pouting bottom lip.  He really wanted to get his hands on those speakers.

I thought I made it clear to him that he was to keep his hands off.  But this morning Tony was at it again.  "Mom, I'm going to move one those speakers over to where I'm going to do school," he stated as he reached for the closest speaker.

"Stop!" I warned with my motherly voice.  "Those are MY speakers."  Shall we say second verse, same chorus?  But this time I added something more.  "Nana and Papa gave me the money.  I could have spent that money on clothes.  And I really do need some new clothes." I pointed out a small bleached spot on the purple sweatshirt I am wearing.    Would you really want to grab a new package of underwear or a bra and state loudly that they really need to belong to the whole family?"

Tony clearly was not happy.  But I pushed on one more time.  "Hey Mom!" I said, taking Tony's voice.  "Can I wear one of your dresses?"   That did it.  He walked away angrily.  I gave him a minute to cool down, and then explained to him that while I could have spent the money on clothes, I did choose to purchase a gift that would benefit the whole family; the whole family can better enjoy the music because of the speakers.  But, he has to remember they are speakers that were for my birthday.

Tony isn't happy, but he hasn't said anything more about the speakers since then.

1 comment:

Margaret said...

It's a hard one because those are items that will benefit the whole family--yet they do belong to you. Tough for the young ones to understand sometimes. We parents are not supposed to want stuff! :)