Duran Family

Duran Family

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

What are you feeding your boy?

I was in a conversation with Mr. Founder of Tony's boys' choir last night. Let me give you some background of this congenial man. Not only did he found the choir 34 years ago, but this retired career police officer is also a boys' gymnastics coach and has one of the nation's leading 11-year-old gymnast in his gym. So Mr. Founder is very aware of boys growing and nutritional needs.

Often when he greets boys he teasingly asks them what they've been eating because they are growing shorter, or thinner, or in some way approves of their growth.

Last night, Mr. Founder came to me and asked me what I fed my son. While I initially thought he was teasing, it quickly became clear that he was asking this question in all seriousness. We are vegetarian and he knows it.

Mr. Founder explained why he was asking. It turns out that in bit of playful gesturing, Tony flexed his muscles for Mr. Founder to look at and Mr. Founder was surprised at the strength Tony had. He knows we do not eat meat and so seemed a bit confused at Tony's health in relation to his diet. So, he had come to me.

I simply shared with him that we try to have a healthy diet. Fruits, vegetables, legumes, breads, limit the amount of oil and refined sugar....

"No meat?" he asked me.

"No meat," I replied.

He shook his head, and told me that with all of his work in gymnastics, he can always tell those boys who are vegetarians. They seem weaker and more anemic.

Before I really had a chance to reply, he went on. "Meat is the protein that builds those muscles. It's a special protein."

"If you look at the nutritional chart, you will see two things," I told him. "One fruits and vegetables are at the bottom; the foundation of a healthy diet. Then come grains and proteins such as meats AND LEGUMES. (I was thinking of the potatoes with warmed up savory bean soup dribbled over the top like a gravy.) Then at the top ...."

There, Mr. Founder stopped me. "I see. You do pay attention to those nutritional charts. That's why your son is as healthy and strong as he is. I can't tell you the last time I had a parent who was familiar with those charts and what they recommended."

Our talked continued with a few anecdotal stories, but our conversation had a real impact for me. In our journey with the choir, our family has continually prayed that we can be used as ministers. And most of the time I think of something like a friendship ministry. But, if we allow God, he will use any aspect of our lives He can "get" his hands on to minister to others. Now that is really humbling.

1 comment:

La Tea Dah said...

What a wonderful opportunity to debunk the false beliefs about vegetarianism that many have. It's pretty neat that your son was able to exemplify total health!

LaTeaDah
Gracious Hospitality