Duran Family

Duran Family

Monday, October 12, 2009

I'm. not.... But...

When my parents were here a while back, my mom and I got into a conversation about the ethnic diversity of our church. And it is very diverse. Our church is in a large African ethnic community, and while there are several African churches established that speak their language, many have chosen our church as their spiritual home.

My parents have visited our church a couple times but generally have chosen to remain at home due to the discomfort they have with our congregants and our worship style.

So we go into this conversation that, frankly, left me quite upset. I was told several times "I'm not racist, but..."
They worship differently than we do.
I can't understand them.
I'm just not comfortable with so many of them around.

My children were hearing all this and I wasn't happy. I told my mom I was glad my children went to such a diverse church, for if they can't learn to accept all people in church, where can they learn such acceptance. I never did get a good answer.

Shortly after this, our church began a youth club that is now mostly attended by, you guessed it, African kids. My son and daughter and two other American kids are also part of the club. At the first meeting I was distressed when Tony came to me and said, "Mom, we are the only "white" kids here." I knew he could have only thought of that after hearing his grandmother's statements.

I look at my son and replied, "So? Should that matter? Do you think you are better than they?" And then I told him that I was glad he was in this club, a minority though he was in this case. For the Africans in our denomination are well-known for having very active, very well organized clubs.

Besides, I have not yet met a member of our church from this ethnic community who doesn't go out of his or her way to be among the most upstanding of our congregation.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Hey VJ--it's been ages since I've commented, but I still take a peek every so often. I envy your living in such a diverse area. We have a lot of hispanic people here, but because so few are bilingual, a spanish-speaking ward (church unit) has been set up for them. I still love getting to know my neighbors, even when conversations are a little limited. Your children will benefit from your attitude. So sad about your parents' perspective.

Margaret said...

So are they actually Africans? That could really open up the door to lots of interesting cultural perspectives. I like your attitude!!