Last week Tony auditioned for the international choir of his organization just before heading off to camp. He wasn't sure if he actually wanted to move up into this prestigious choir, but was excited to know that staff felt he was ready for this big step.
All week long I prayed and fretted, fretted and prayed, wondering what Tony would decide to do.
Of the 34 spots available in the choir 18 or 19 spots were open, so I knew the conductor was going to be encouraging as many boys as possible to try out. I also knew that if Tony felt forced to move into the international choir he would, but he wouldn't be happy about it. His three best friends all decided to not try out; they wanted to spend one more year in the national choir.
This past Sunday we picked Tony up from camp. I asked him what he had decided to do. He told me he decided to stay with the international group. "No pressure from the staff?" I asked him, looking deeply into his eyes to read what was going on inside his head.
"No pressure," he replied openly and honestly.
About 11 boys moved up from the national choir into the international choir; and the conductor even took three boys from the regional choir, jumping them over the national choir. But that's not all! He even took one boy straight out of the training choir (the boy had completed training but had missed the cut-off date to move up into the regional choir) and double jumped him into the international choir.
Tony, it appears, will still be among the five youngest in this choir, but so far has no regrets. In fact, following rehearsal this past Tuesday evening he asked me how long that rehearsal was. "An hour and a half," I told him.
"Oh, it only seemed like five minutes!" he exclaimed. "I was having too much fun."
We already traded in his two blue national choir shirts for one available red international shirt. We'll have to order one or two more, and then wait again for concert uniform fittings.
One surprise in all this; Tony was moved from the first soprano section to the second soprano/first alto position. I don't think his voice is getting any lower; I think he will have more control over his notes in this new section. Also, this gives him an excellent chance to learn how to harmonize.
No comments:
Post a Comment