Why is it life gets busier the older your kids get? I think my life is flying out of control! Last Wednesday, April 15th was DeeDee's third birthday. Yesterday was Tony's tenth. Count them. Eight fingers and two thumbs wiggling in the air. Why the kid already comes up to my shoulder!
Sabbath, after choir I brought home a van load of boys from choir - Tony and his three best friends. After feeding them lunch, we gathered up kids, balls, bats, and other assorted "keep-them-busy" equipment and headed a few blocks to a nice play field. There we let them go, but kept an eye on them. Eventually they headed to the ball field.
I will tell you, these boys can sing, but ball players? Well, that talent still lies deep within. But they sure tried. I will admit, having me as a pitcher didn't do much for their batting averages.
The game ended when one quiet boy, who had taken on the role of spectator offered to pitch so I could finally hit a ball or two. He pitched a couple and then finally sizzled one right down the line. I whacked it hard and sent a low grounder right into his nose. Fortunately, it was a training softball so it was softer and a bit more bouncy, but could still pack a punch. Jimmy's nose got it on a bounce, but was still hard enough to cause tears.
I ran out to him, hugged him, told him I was sorry and asked if he needed ice for his nose. He agreed and thus ended the game.
He was fine for within a few minutes of applying the icepack, it was discarded when the Lego's came out.
The boys made their own pizzas for supper; and, following worship, a few minutes of Game Boy and DS play, I finally rounded up the boys and got them into bed.
Yesterday was Tony's birthday, and the celebrations began when they decided they wanted to see if they could slide down the stairs on seat cushions. Didn't work very well because the cushions were too big and the stairs were carpeted. The celebrations continued with fruit filled crepes and a return trip to the ball field.
Finally the boys' time had come to go home, but Tony's celebrations continued with the arrival of his friends from church; two of the three J's. Middle J and Little Miss J are here for the week while M and oldest J are on a road trip to another part of the country. Tony is going to be in a week long state of hyper, that's for sure.
And, lest you thing this is the end of the celebrations; think again. When Nana and Papa arrive in now less than two weeks, the birthday celebrations begin all over again, for both DeeDee and Tony.
No comments:
Post a Comment