Duran Family

Duran Family

Friday, February 20, 2009

Appointments

Question for you: If you set up an appointment for someone to come over to your house for business (piano lessons, taxes, cleaning, etc.) Would you expect them at THAT time and plan your day around it? Or is it fine with you if they show up early or call and ask if they can come early?

I'm the type of person who keeps appointments, I arrive at the time I'm expected or call if I'm going to be a few minutes late. I don't ever show up overly early and make sure I leave when I'm supposed to.

Earlier this week I had a tutoring appointment at my house. It was set for Wednesday evening at 8:00.

Tuesday morning about 10:00, I got a call from the mom saying they couldn't make it Wednesday, could they come over right now? (They live five minutes away.) I hemmed and hawed, said yes and scrambled. I got the kids upstairs with stuff to do, the house picked up from Kindergarten activities and admonished the kids to be quiet and stay put.

The one-hour appointment ended up being nearly an hour and a half. When the mom picked up her girl, she told me they COULD make the Wednesday appointment at 8:00. I agreed.

So, Wednesday afternoon about 4:30, Sally called me and said that she could come over right now. This time I said no. "The appointment is for 8:00 this evening." I told her. "I will be ready for you at 8."

About 6:00 she called again. "My mom says my dad will bring me over as soon as he comes home." I asked when that would be and was told, "about 6:30 or 7:00."

"No," I told her. That is our family dinner and worship time. I will be ready for you at 8:00."

About 7:00 Sally's mom called. This time I had just put DeeDee into the bath. "I'm done with my piano students," she told me, "I'd like to bring Sally over now."

"I'm sorry," I told her, "I just put DeeDee into the bath. Could you come between 7:45 and 8:00? She agreed.

You see, I've been with the kids alone all day since Angelo had a long work day followed by a church board meeting. And even though I didn't have Alex, I had my day planned; house cleaning, school, working on choir stuff, laundry, making meals, grading, baths, homework, worship... while I didn't have my planning down to the minute, I did know about how long each would take and planned my day around an 8:00 appointment.

I did feel a bit guilty for being rigid about it, but I really do not like to interrupt my evening family time. The first half of the week, (Sunday, Monday, Tuesday) is for work and choir, the last half of the week needs to be family time, (Wednesday, Thursday Friday and Saturday.) And even Saturday is split between family and church, and choir .

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're frustration is easy to understand.

Maybe a simple 'sorry,no; that doesn't work on my end" would have eliminated both instances with that family this week. No explanations needed.

And pray for patience; is this the girl who asked if you'd teach her next year? Have her parents talked to you about that?

Margaret said...

I would just say, "Sorry, I can't" and make clear that the appointment is for a specific time and NO other. I would plan my activities around that appointment;it's not fair to you or your family to have such flexible times.

Anonymous said...

I guess you can be thankful for your flexible schedule as a stay-at-home mom.

Anonymous said...

It's not a big deal. You're a stay-at-home mom so you can be flexible.

Mama of 2 said...

I am like you VJ...I am one to keep appointments and it drives me batty to not be on time.

No matter if you are seen as a stay at home mom or not that doesn't deminish the fact that your time and schedule is as valuable as the next persons. I believe that it's well within your right to stick to the said appointment time. Your family and needs are just as important as those you are working with.