Duran Family

Duran Family

Monday, October 20, 2008

It's my pleasure

Tony and I attended a wedding yesterday. It was a small affair; no more than 40 or 50 guests present. The bride was the older sister of one of Tony's choir friends. The wedding was held in a small community about a bit more than an hour north of us. The catered food had to be picked up, and I was the closest person to pick it up. The wedding started at 2; the food would be ready at 1.

When we arrived at the wedding location with the hot food, the wedding was about half over. That's OK. We still had time to unpack it from it's warming boxes. The food was chicken with a thin oriental sauce, and beef lasagna. Another choir mom and I had been asked to serve, but the other choir mom couldn't get off work early, or even on time. So it was up to me and my dear son, who, bless his heart asked what he could do to help and was my right hand man. I did tell him beforehand that he was NOT to ask to eat or play; that we were there to serve. "If you are offered food to eat, politely decline saying, 'No, thank you. It is my pleasure to serve you.'"

We were invited to eat by the bride's aunt; but I responded in the way I had instructed Tony to respond. The lady pressed the issue, saying we could at least have some salad (which had bacon bits in it). Again, I declined saying we were there to serve. I figured it would be a nicer response and would be a lot less awkward than saying, "no, thank-you, we are vegetarian."

Even DeeDee picked up on the idea of service. All the way up to the wedding and back home again, she asked us, "Are we helping other people today? Are other people happy now? I sincerely hope that she is developing a servant's heart.

No comments: