Duran Family

Duran Family

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

It's the memory, I tell ya

About three weeks ago, Angelo bought some RAM memory for our older desktop computer. He hoped that would speed processes up from stuck to a bit faster.

Not long after, I noticed a strange message on the screen; something to the effect that Windows had encountered a problem causing the computer to restart. OK.

I then found and installed two DVD ripping programs so that I can transfer programs like Little House on the Prairie, Baby Einstein and even Tony's spring concert from DVD to my iPod.

All at once my computer "blue screened." Then it happened again and again. I told Angelo about it and suggested a solution at the same time; put the old memory back in.

Instead of listening to me, Angelo decided he needed to go into all sorts of diagnostics that seemed to drag on and on. Every time I mentioned the memory he became irritated - like he was annoyed that I was even smart enough to know that 1 plus 1 is 10 (in the binary system).

So, after "nagging" him about it again today he installed a huge service pack for our Windows operating system. Shortly after the computer "blue screened" again. This time the new service pack brought up a synopsis of what it detected; "There wasn't enough data to determine exact cause, but it could be the RAM memory."

I couldn't help but smirk a little as Angelo sputtered and back pedaled. Finally in order to save whatever bit of male ego he has, he finally told me that if the computer "blue screened" one more time he would put the old memory back in.

For once, I'm hoping that the computer sputters and restarts. It would be such sweet redemption!

No comments: