Duran Family

Duran Family

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Jeans in church

Our co-op host (a local church) recently installed wireless capability, so I'm sitting behind a pillar eavesdropping on about three different conversations. One caught my ear in particular as I've been doing a lot of thought about this as Tony has gone though the choir experience.

Over my right shoulder is a homeschooling mom who is also an attorney talking about a church she and her family attended. They left because the pastor decided to wear jeans while preaching. "He decided making other people feel welcome, no matter how they are dressed more important than honoring God," she griped.

I almost got up from my pseudo-hiding place to ask how one's dress honors God when God states that he seeks the heart of man, not a man's clothes. But I kept quiet, because, well, she's an attorney and knows how to argue a point. I don't.

The attorney mom, in her discussion with another mom was totally disgusted with the idea of the pastor wearing jeans in church. If she were to come to my church, she would find a whole range of clothing; from dresses to jeans; from no adornment to excessive adornment (mostly among teenagers). Our pastor does not a wear suit and tie at the pulpit; he dresses in business causal. I've learn to see beyond the clothes and look into the heart of those attending. We have to remember that a walk with the Lord is personal; and clothes reflect that personalness and uniqueness of each individual relationship. Who are we to judge a man's clothes? Did not the Lord say to Samuel, "Man looks on the outward appearance, but God looks on the heart."

Would I wear jeans to church, I may hear you ask? No, I wouldn't feel comfortable, but only because I was raised to dress nicely for church. Do I judge those who do wear jeans to church? I used to when I was young because that was my environment but as I have gotten older, I realize that it is for God to judge, not me.

Ok, I can get off my soapbox now.

No comments: