Tony made it!!!
After Tony was done with school and I my housecleaning we took to the piano to see if he could master the five-note melody. I started by having him recite five numbers back to me. It was a struggle. He tended to switch the middle two numbers around. Hmmm, OK. So I thought maybe he could sing the numbers or sing 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 as he sang the notes after I played them; maybe that would help. Not really. It was hit or miss, and mostly miss. He was getting frustrated so we called time out for a bit. I shared with him my struggles in becoming a DJ for the radio station at the college I attended. It wasn't easy for me, and there were times I wanted to give up, but I didn't.
Tony and I cleaned up his room for a bit until he declared he wanted to go back and give it another try. The second go around wasn't much better. There were more tears. We stopped and prayed and tried again. There were a few more hits and many more misses.
In rush we got ready to go; Tony had to be at the choir building at five. We made it with one minute to spare.
I gave Tony gentle reminder that it was Sabbath, and he darted out of the car to find Mr. Founder to see if he would be willing to work with Tony some more. He found Mr. Conductor instead. Bless his heart, even though Mr. Conductor was trying to get ready for the concert, he took a few minutes to listen with Tony. The news was not good. Tony was very discouraged. He came to me ready to cry so I took him to the darkened Great Hall to encourage him and to pray with him, my own eyes filling with tears. Before we got very far into our conversation, the lights flashed on and the boys poured into the room. Tony made an escape into the bathroom. I decided it was time for Mr. Executive-Director to talk to him a bit, so he followed Tony into the bathroom.
A few minutes later both emerged, Tony's eyes a bit red, but an encouraged smile on his face. As they emerged from the bathroom, Mr. Founder walked in from bringing the bus around to the front. Mr. E.Director asked Mr. Founder if he would be willing to work with Tony a little bit more. Mr. Founder was happy to do so.
While the other boys warmed up in the Great Hall, Mr. Founder and Tony went back to the rehearsal room to work some more.
While all this was going on I was lending a hand in putting stamps on the 2,000 or so Christmas letters the choir was sending out. I was trying to be a part of the conversation the other two ladies were carrying on; listen to what was going on in the great hall behind me, and wondering how Tony was getting along.
About ten minutes after they disappeared, Mr. Founder and Tony reappeared. This time Tony had a big smile on his face. HE HAD MADE IT!! He was able to sing. He is done with training. Mr. Conductor was quietly given the information as Tony went in to take his seat. Mr Founder told me that Tony struggled with the five note phrase until they came up with a rhyme that seemed to trigger whatever it needed for Tony to remember. They did several five note phrases and Tony got them every time with that rhyme. They went over the note reading a couple times until Tony got it perfect, and bingo, the sheet was signed off.
I told Tony on the way home tonight that passing the requirements was the beginning. Now he has the tools that will help him learn to sing well. Well enough to possibly eventually get into national and from there maybe the international choir.
THE CONCERT
The boys left about an hour and a half before concert time. I stayed behind and applied more stamps to more letters. Finally about 45 minutes before the concert, The two other ladies and I left. The concert took place in a small elementary school gym. There were about 150-200 people there, a mix of young and old. We sat at round tables. I joined a retired couple at their table and chatted for a bit until concert time. I didn't immediately identify myself as a choir mom, but I did eventually. They enjoyed hearing the extra tidbits I shared, including Tony's experience at the restaurant, when he wanted to show me his good manners.
The national choir sang first - about eight songs. After intermission the local choir - Tony's choir came on. Tony was serious but had a pleasant (excited?) look on his face. The boys did a good job. The retired couple I sat with called it a real treat to listen to the boys.
The local choir sang four songs. On their last song, "Bring Us Peace," The national choir came in quietly and stood to the side. On the last verse, they began "oohing" Silent Night. It was tear inducing beautiful. Simply beautiful. As I looked around the room I saw many wiping tears from their eyes.
The national choir finished up the concert with their final three songs. Their last song was "We Wish You a Merry Christmas." As they sang, the local choir came in and shook hands with all those present. Tony found me and shook my hand and then gave me a big hug. He then went on around and greeted other people. Following the concert and standing ovation, all the boys went out into the foyer and were greeted by members of the audience, accepting the congratulations and praise in a humble and gracious manner.
I bid Tony farewell and went out to the car. I waited until the bus left and followed it back to the choir building otherwise I knew I would get lost. It was a long trip home; and the boys get to do it all over again tomorrow afternoon at the Christmas concert.
Now I've got to get to bed.
No comments:
Post a Comment