Duran Family

Duran Family

Saturday, December 29, 2007

I'm glad I went

That was a tough one.

Like I mentioned earlier (see below) the funeral I attended this morning was for a co-op mom I didn't know very well; she'd been with us for only a semester.

When I paid my respects at the casket, I saw an austere looking woman with very short hair and glasses. It wasn't until I was settled in my seat and opened the program did I realize WHO this mom was. A. was THAT mom. That beautiful from the inside out, joyful person who touches your life so completely.

She was younger than me by about four years - yet she already had a 16-year-old son. I never knew her husband until today, and boy! He's young looking too. But young doesn't mean foolish. This family is one of the most God-fearing, loving families in their congregation. That was easy to see.

You know what was the hardest? Seeing the pictures of her in her head-covering, hugging and kissing each one of her kids and her husband. These were professional photos. There was joy in her eyes, yet you knew these pictures were taken as a last gift of love she could give her family. It broke every one's heart to see them.

The church wasn't large, and there was hardly any parking. By the time I arrived about 20 minutes before the services, cars lined the street for nearly two blocks. They had to use an overflow room downstairs to seat everyone.

This was a tough one. Yet, because of her love for the Lord, there is no question where she will be on that Great Resurrection Morning.

I am glad I went. There was something cleansing about going to this funeral this morning. It helped put my life back into perspective. Now, excuse me. I'm going to finish the cleansing process by having a good cry before the rest of my family arrives home from church services.

No comments: