In mid-June, while at Church Outing, I got a message from a co-op mom (S) that another mom of our group (A) was diagnosed with leukemia. The prognosis was quite serious, however the faith of A and her family was quite strong.
Through the past six months we got periodic updates from the family, and each time the news was bleak.
At our first co-op meeting in September I talked S who is best friends with A and her family to find out exactly how things were going. When A was first diagnosed, she was told that if EVERYTHING went the way everyone hoped it would, she would have a 30% chance of two-year survival. This was tough news to take.
Around Halloween, we got word that A and her family decided to not continue the aggressive chemotherapy treatments.
Thanksgiving time we got word that her blood was thickening due to the extremely high white blood cell count.
Christmas afternoon we got word A had passed away early that morning.
Her funeral is tomorrow. I'm going, though I really don't want to. Who wants to attend a funeral, anyway? A was new to our group, having joined us in January of 07. Obviously she wasn't with our group fall semester of this year, though her kids continued to be part of our group. The kids are either much older than Tony (teenagers already) or much younger (closer to DeeDee's age.)
No comments:
Post a Comment