Duran Family

Duran Family

Monday, November 12, 2007

Choirboy Tony

All of that anticipation; all that waiting; all that excitement - so excited he couldn't be still for a minute, it was worth it. Tony is in a boys' choir.

Here are some highlights from our first experiences:

My impressions:
  • Good behavior and manners are taught through the environment and through dedicated skits and lessons. This is good, and, from what I saw are always done with loving tact and gentleness. In fact from their brochure, it states, that "this choir advocates an 'old-fashion' view of acceptable behavior and manners which we expect from our members. Because of the tremendous amount of public scrutiny to which the boys are exposed, we teach them how to greet, converse, and interact with adults in a polite and appropriate fashion. The boys attend classes on proper public behavior, table manners, leadership and grooming." I certainly saw that this evening.
  • Report cards every child is required to bring in a report card each grading period so the executive director can evaluate and help each child achieve their best. No child will be booted from the choir because of grades; rather, plans will be put into place to help the boy achieve.
  • Nothing a stumbling block Every boy deserves a chance to sing, and so this group will strive to make sure every boy can be a part. If finances are burden, they will work with each family to achieve an agreeable solution.

Tony's Impressions

  • A game room! There was pool, Foosball, and computer games. I got to be in the game room twice, before practice and during break time.
  • My audition was easy. The conductor and I talked for a little bit, and then he had me sing some notes with him on the piano.
  • Uniforms: Every boy has to wear a choir t-shirt. I didn't have one until Mom got one for me. She gave it to me at break time and I got to put it on right away. I even have a "team" jacket! We got my uniform performance pants today, but we have to order the shirt. I'm only in training right now, so I'm not going to be performing right away.
  • Learning I started learning three songs tonight! I'm also learning how to breathe properly while singing. On Thursday, my conductor is going to be gone so our perfect (that's a staff member who makes sure we stay safe) will be having us do skits on manners in restaurants.

Parents' impressions via the phone:

Dad: "So how much damage was done to your van?

Me: "Huh"

Dad: "When we talked to Tony on the phone, it sounded like he was bouncing off the ceiling, he was so excited. How much damage did he do?"

Finally:

From their brochure:

The Choirboy:

Perhaps the most difficult creature on earth to analyze is the choirboy. He is curious combination of angel and imp - the voice like an angel with a frog in his back pocket and boundless energy that only a young boy can possess or understand. The sound of a choirboy is a fleeting, hauntingly beautiful thing, precious because of its unique quality, perhaps doubly so because of the short time such a voice is among us.

No comments: