Duran Family

Duran Family

Saturday, May 19, 2007

End of the (school) year activities

While it seems I may be "stuck" on having everyone take my quiz; I'm really deeply involved in another project right now. In looking at creative writing programs for Tony and my other students next year, I came across a book that helps kids write fictional stories from family history. If you are a teacher or a homeschooling mom, look at the educational value in this. History! Research! Genealogy! English! Grammar! This book is a gold mine.

In an effort to become more familiar with the workings of this book, I went onto ancestry.com and began looking at my history. And looked. And looked. And looked. On my dad's maternal side of the family, I've gone all the way back to 1027. However, on my mom's side, the early 1800's is as far back as records go.

I know U.S. history well enough that as I scribble down each date and location my mind is alive with imagination. Did he sail the Mayflower? Perhaps he was a young man who sailed and met his "girl" in the New World.

Look at the young age he died, perhaps a disease swept the colony and he didn't make it.

All these people from this village must have all been one big happy family. And so my thoughts wander back through the veil of history into what might have been.

When I stop for the night I almost look strange in my shirt and blue jeans because for hours I've been wearing colonial, or early English clothing, living in colonial or English cottages and speaking King James English.

But that's is not all I've been doing. We are down to just a few days of school left. Paula is already done with her school, much to her relief, and now is feverishly studying for her ACT exams which she will take in early June. She is hoping to get into a PSEO program at a community college and finish her high school diploma while earning college credit at the same time.

Tony and Rachel are eagerly plowing through the last few days of school so they too, can be finished with the year.

As for me, I'm already well into Tony's third grade year, even beginning long ranging planning for his fourth grade year with the family history book.

No comments: