Duran Family

Duran Family

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

9-1-1? I almost wish I had a picture

So I'm upstairs doing my teacher thing while Rachel and Tony were downstairs playing hide and seek. I could hear their counting and laughter as first one and then the other was found.

Their laughter faded as I continued to focus on my task until suddenly Rachel came upstairs to tell me that Tony tried to hide in the dryer. Now he's stuck and couldn't get out, and he's crying. In my mind I pictured my little boy all scrunched up in a dark little hole.

As I headed down the stairs Tony's wails grew louder. I rounded the corner and saw that Tony was not in the dryer but in the top-loading washer, stuck. His legs were wrapped around the agitator, and his belt was stuck under the rim of the machine. He was panicking. I tried lifting him out and he wailed with pain. I tried moving the belt and lifting again, nothing. I had him put his arms around my neck and told him to try lifting himself out. Nope.

I told Rachel to get the phone for me because I thought for sure this was going to be a 9-1-1 call. Meanwhile Tony was alternating between panic and calm after I told him several times to settle down because only then could he help me.

I thought for a second and then asked if we could get his belt off. I reached around, undid it and pulled it out of his pants. Tony then again put his arms around me and was able to get himself up. I lifted him out of the washing machine where he gave me a great big hug, crying tears of relief.

Thinking through the scene I had encountered, I told Tony I almost wished I had a camera to get a picture, and then jokingly asked if he wanted to get back into the washer so I could get that priceless snapshot.

For some odd reason, he turned me down, saying "I don't EVER want to get back in there!"

No comments: