Duran Family

Duran Family

Sunday, April 22, 2007

10-5=5 for Tony's birthday party

We invited ten kids; the three J's, the two C's, Rachel, Alex, one friend from co-op and two young ladies from church. The J's and the C's didn't show up. Well, OK; the J's came for a little bit before the party, but then left when it started raining to go to another party. The C's after promising me several times they would come, never showed up. Oh, did I ever tell you the J's and the C's are cousins?

Yesterday afternoon while I was again struggling with the idea that best friends may be best friends no longer for Tony, he and I had a talk. I told him there would be stages in life where friends change. As he grows older the likes and dislikes of people will lead him into new friendships. I was doing my best to make sure Tony would not hold the angry, frustrated feelings I couldn't seem to get rid of.

I was bound and determined to make sure Tony had a good time, and he says he did. Yet this evening he seemed a little down in the mouth. When I asked him what was wrong, he told me he felt sad that his party was already over.

My mom sure got it right

When I was IM'ing my mom about the party, I share with her the lack of participation. Her is what she said:
Sorry you were disappointed, but the important thing is that it looks like they had a good time. Often times it is better with fewer than more. Looks like Tony had a good time. Sorry M and Lee's family could not stay. Everyone is so busy these days, sometimes they don't realize how important certain things are to others. Guess we all can learn a lesson from that. Anyway, glad it turned out ok. It sure looked like they had a good time.

As I thought back of the stress of the past week trying to show to M and L how important this party really was, all I could do was shake my head and say to myself, "Oh Mom, if only you knew." She got that nail on the head for sure.

No comments: