Duran Family

Duran Family

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

So, am I paranoid?

Here is a portion of our current hazardous weather outlook from the National Weather Service for tonight and mostly tomorrow.

HEAVY SNOW ALONG WITH STIFF NORTHEAST WINDS WILL BEGIN BY LATE MORNING AND INTO THE AFTERNOON. BLIZZARD CONDITIONS ARE BECOMING MORE LIKELY BY LATE MORNING THURSDAY AND INTO THE AFTERNOON AND EVENING. DANGEROUS TRAVELING CONDITIONS WILL OCCUR IN MANY PLACES THROUGH THIS TIME...INCLUDING DURING THE LATE AFTERNOON AND EARLY EVENING RUSH HOUR.

Because of this statement, I made arrangements with the girls' dad for them to stay home tomorrow. We are not going to co-op.

However, when I listened to the news station this evening they said that the heavy snow and blizzard conditions won't happen until late afternoon and evening, thus making it appear like travel on the roads, while not great, would be passable.

So, who do I believe? This dramatic forecast from the NWS or the tamer one from the news station.

Consider this: A couple years ago, my family and I were in a snow related accident that totaled our van.
Think about this: I would be transporting children who are not my own.
Get this: This is not a middle-of-the-winter snow "shimmer" that leaves dry, fluffy snow that blows away at the slightest breeze. Nope, this is the big, ploppy, Washington State snow that is wet, heavy, and freezes as soon as the temps drop a few degrees.

So, am I paranoid for staying home tomorrow?

No comments: