Duran Family

Duran Family

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Mom's proudest moment...and worst nightmare

...but it was just that, only a nightmare.

Tony's been taking swimming lessons at the local community center. The pool there is Olympic sized, and down at the deep end (ten feet deep) are a set of springboards. The rule there is that younger children have to pass a swimming test before they can jump off the board unassisted. Frankly, I didn't think Tony had the swimming skills yet to pass this test.

He proved me wrong. Yesterday. I was upstairs feeding DeeDee when he came up, all dripping wet and asked me how old he had to be before he could take the test. Not wanting to have him get all discouraged by not passing, I told him I thought it was ten years old.

He wasn't convinced and announced he would ask. So he did and to his delight found there was no age limit, only swimming skills. He was thrilled; my heart dropped.

I went downstairs all prepared to comfort a broken-hearted boy when he failed the test. Only. He. Didn't. He passed.

Boy, was he ever excited and after getting the approval mark on his swim band, he eagerly went down to the spring boards. I, one the other hand, watched with an awful fear that he would jump off and not come up again. Fortunately the life guard kept a very close eye on my dear son and the three other kids jumping off the board.

Tony jumped and came up, jumped and came up, jumped and came up.

To my mommy eyes, he just doesn't look like he's big enough or old enough to be able to do stuff like this. I mean he's only seven, barely.

No comments: