Duran Family

Duran Family

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

I just didn't know.

I made a big mistake this morning; only I didn't know it right away.

I live on a corner lot that also happens to be a bus stop. I never have been thrilled with a bus stop on my property, but for the most part I have kept my mouth shut. Some years the kids have been great, but other years -- well -- it's a different story. This year it tends to be a different story. There are three or four boys and one little girl who stand at my corner each morning. Fortunately, the little girl's mother always escorts her out and stays there until the bus comes. But, the girl is always the last to arrive, so the boys have a few minutes to run wild on my yard.

As I was growing up, my parents impressed upon me that you just don't walk in other people's yards. It's rude and inconsiderate. I'm teaching Tony the same thing. So I am a little bit irked when I see these kids running around chasing each other with sticks and handfuls of leaves in my yard. If they were to get hurt, I'm ultimately responsible since it's my property.

I wish I could be at the window every morning to make sure the kids behave until 9:05 when the bus shows up, but I can't. My homeschool is at the opposite end of the house. This morning however, I went into the other room to get something and saw the boys at their wild play around my maple tree and picnic table. I went outside and told them, "Gentlemen, please stand at the bus stop rather than playing around my yard." They didn't. One boy is the grandson of my neighbor so I called him by name. He ignored me. About that time the mother of the little girl showed up, very irate at the boys and their disregard. So as the bus approached she took the grandson's coat and talked to him. What she said, I didn't hear, but I called him again as he got on the bus. "I expect you to listen to me when I call you," I told him.

The mother and I talked a few minutes and she expressed her displeasure at having to continually speak firmly with the boys. (She used another word which I won't use here.) Based on her words and what I had witnessed several times, I decided I would call the school district to enlist their help - and I would talk to the grandparents of the boy. Calling the school district was a mistake I discovered.

Let me explain. I have NEVER attended public school a day in my life, nor have I ever used public school transportation. This morning, I didn't know the ways and wherefores of buses. I didn't know that every kid has a bus record. When I called the school district, I invoked "black marks" on those records thus bringing the kids one inch closer to getting them kicked off the bus. I didn't know that. I was totally ignorant. When I talked the the grandparents, they were very upset with me for calling the school district. At the time I was confused at the depth of their emotion. Later as I talked to Angelo (who is a product of public school) he explained what I had done. I was very dismayed. I knew that my neighbors did not know of my ignorance - that was clear when I received a phone call from "grandma" that left me in tears when I hung up the receiver.

I managed to talk to the school district guy again, and explained to him my unintentional blunder. "I didn't realize what a storm I set off when I called this morning," I told him. "It is not my intent to get these kids kicked off the bus. Please, make sure that these guys aren't in jeopardy because of my ignorance."

He told me that the bus driver would talk to the kids and it would go no further "as far as your property is concerned."

But about the grandparents? This evening I went over, unannounced and uninvited to explain my ignorance, and to plead for forgiveness. Grandma was still a little upset with me, but as we talked she calmed down. There is a lot of stress in her life right now, and I had added to it.

We talked about 40 minutes, and before I left I was able to have prayer with them and for them.

It's been an emotional afternoon of a generally not very good day. I'm tired and I need to go to bed.

I just pray that nothing more comes of this bus stop incident.

No comments: