Paula had an interview with the director of Junior Volunteer Services for the local hospital today. This was her first experience in real life interviewing, and she was nervous. As we headed to the hospital we talked briefly of possible questions she might be asked, as well as how to behave and what answers would be acceptable.
I told her it was OK to say, "I don't know about that," and "That's a good question, let me think about it," and that silence is OK.
We found the directo's office in a distant corner of the building, and waited patiently for her to arrive.
Paula survived the experience, and even learned from it, I think. We have a tentative schedule for her, but the start date is up in the air.
My emotions for the event were a bit surprising; perhaps very parental. I really wanted to do this interview for her so she wouldn't have to feel that discomfort of being nervous. But I couldn't. So all I could do was encourage her, and pray for her during the interview. Before the interview, the director told me where there was a snack area where I could go should I wish; I thanked her and told her that I was OK where I was. A quick glance at Paula told me she was very relieved to hear that I wasn't going anywhere.
No comments:
Post a Comment