Our neighbors across the street have had relatives over for the past two weeks. They are leaving tomorrow. One of the visitors was a little girl about a year older than Tony. The two have played amicably several times, and Tony was very glad for the friendship.
This afternoon, a cousin - a boy about 9 years old came over with his family to visit and say good bye. K., the girl had just arrived to play with Tony when the family drove up. The cousin, L. saw the two kids in our driveway and dashed over to play.
So, while the three played, Angelo and I took a spot at our picnic table outside to keep an eye on things. We also had a two gallon thermos full of ice-water because of the high heat and humidity we are experiencing right now.
After about a half hour of play it was time for Tony to come in for dinner. It was then my little boy had those big thoughts.
He was upset at having to leave his friends, and once we were safely inside the tears came.
"I wish I had a brother to play with!" sobbed my little boy as my heart was wrenched.
I took him to our couch and pulled him onto my lap. I let him cry while I crooned into his ear how much I had wished for him to have a brother or sister to play with.
Once the tears stopped I explained again why he was an only child, and how often I had cried tears because he didn't have a brother or sister to play with.
"But, even though we cry, and beg, and ask and wish for a brother or sister, there will come a time when we will know all the answers," I told my precious son. "When we get to heaven, the Lord will explain why you were an only child, and we will praise him for his answer."
But I was quick to tell Tony, "But that doesn't stop pain right now, so it's OK to cry." And we cried together.
No comments:
Post a Comment