With all the news of Deep Throat of the Watergate scandal being identified as W. Mark Felt, it reminds me of a brief moment in my life. I was a very young girl, maybe not yet even in school.
Remember, I grew up in the Pacific Northwest and the Washington State Ferry system is as common as bikes and cars. As ferries pull into the piers, they are guided in by pilings or immovable "gates" of creosoted wood.
One day, as our family got on the ferry to ride to Seattle, I watched our vessel pull out from the pier. I finally understood what all this talk about "Watergate" swirling above my head was all about. One of those "gates in the water" had been broken!
"Mommy!" I cried as I realized this great epiphany and pointed to the pilings we were slipping past. "That's Watergate!"
No comments:
Post a Comment