Just as we figured out a way to get into the garage to get our camping stove, the lights came back on.
Then as the sun went down yesterday, the rain quit and the clouds broke up. Today? It's a beautiful day.
I was rereading my post below, and realized I failed to mention something. Dolly's Imagination Library is an excellent foundation, and the fact that she has given rise of my respect toward her. Just think, every child who lives in a county where this program is active recieves one free book each month of the first five years of their life. How can it get much better than that?
I am posting my thoughts as I wrote them down a week ago while on vacation with my parents and Tony in the Ozarks of Missouri.
April 10, 2005 Sunday 9:35PM.
Well, Tony is in bed and is sound asleep. It's been a very l-o-n-g day for him. It started early this morning with a buffet breakfast in the clubhouse, and continued on through a round of 18-hole putt-putt (that course is a lot harder than it looks!), an attempt at ping-pong (first time efforts and strong breezes blowing on an outside table makes for tough going); and a game of checkers.

Tony is putting off on resort's 18-hole putt-putt.

He took about 15 minutes to practice his piano for an upcoming recital, and then it was off with Nana, Papa and I to "Ride the 'Ducks.'" If you're not sure what I'm talking about, a "Duck" is a military DUKW; a boat looking bus. It goes on land and in the water. We had about an 80-minute tour where we learned a lot about the local history of the area we are visiting.

Papa, Nana, VJ and Tony getting ready to ride the duck.


Tony, Nana, Papa and I are sitting in the very front of the duck known as "Duke."

Let me tell you, it was a unnerving experience making that transition from land to water. Our driver gunned the engine, and we just plowed into the lake. There we slowly circled a small island. It was here that our captain allowed those who wanted to come up and drive the vehicle. Tony was one who offered, and he had a great time steering the vessel around. For his efforts, he received a frameable license as an honorary "Duck" driver.
Here's a bit of trivia about the particular "duck" we rode. I don't know how many of you are John Wayne fans, but there are two movies in which a "duck" is used. That "duck", the one in the John Wayne movie True Grit and one other is the "duck" we rode today. They call it Duke after John Wayne's character, I guess.
And Tony thought that was the highlight of his day!
This evening, we attended one of the best shows I have ever seen; Dolly Pardon's Dixie Stampede. Let me tell you that is about the best in family entertainment! And the food is wonderful!
Y'know, even though Tony is on spring break from school, this is quite the educational trip for him. Yesterday it was natural resources and conservation; today was history. Tony may not know about the Civil War and the North versus the South right now, but after tonight when he does learn about it, he will have this excellent program to refer back to.
Oh, and Tony even had a part to do in this program. He was one of only four children chosen to chase the chickens. And while his chicken was not the first to cross the line, all the kids received a very nice medallion for being a winner.
A quick trip to the pool used up the last bit of energy this poor kid had. Now he's sleeping with his well-loved toy Freckles in his arms along with his new friend, Midnight the horse.
As for tomorrow, well I think there is a Bass Pro shop around here, as well as another nature center. So, we are back to natural resources for the classroom topic, it appears.
No comments:
Post a Comment