Duran Family

Duran Family

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Karen asked me: I was discussing the whole cursive thing with another homeschooling friend the other day. I realize ABeka begins cursive immediately, while most other programs start with some form of manuscript before transitioning to cursive... but I brought up the question of do we even need to teach cursive writing?? The only thing it is absolutely necessary to write in cursive is one's signature. Every other form you fill out says "Please print." Learning to read cursive would be useful, but that could be taught without actually having to write it. (I only thought of this because printing was struggle enough for my boy... teaching cursive is not something I'm looking forward to!)
Thank you for your comments. You and my dad must have been reading from the same script. Some of the reasons for cursive writing include anticipation. Handwriting can be such a chore, but when the kids realize that they are doing what "the big people" do, they are excited about the writing process. Another reason is because cursive writing connects letters together, and for some children this is the visual connection they need to help them process letters into words. Letters are connected into words.
Also, cursive writing does improve printing. I've seen it with Tony.

My dad told me last night that printing is harder to forge than cursive, and like you said, everything is "Please print." Personally I don't mind one way or the other. Cursive writing has been a big success for Tony in that he enjoys it, he does well at it, and it has helped him tie the concept of letters and words together.

Karen, and others who have the same questions; I respect your opinions and thank you for sharing them.

No comments: