Last last night in the hours of "is it 1 or is it 3?" I checked in on Tony to see how he was doing. As is my common practice, I whispered "Good night," and "I love you." in his sweet ear. He must not have been in deep sleep for he slightly rolled and whispered back.
OK, so I have a mean streak in me and whispered to him that I was Santa Claus. His eye flew upon into a dazed, not-quite-focused look and asked me, "You are?!"
"I sure am," I replied not able to hide my smile.
"Oh" was his sleepy reply.
"Merry Christmas," I whispered as I lightly kissed his nose.
That must have woken him up because he took a good look at me and replied. "It's not Christmas because we don't have the tree up."
"Oh, well I must have gotten my calendar mixed up. Good night," I told him as I tucked in the covers a little bit around his shoulders.
This morning, I went into his room and again whispered "Merry Christmas." (I'm really playing with his head now, aren't I?)
He rolled over, looked at my confusedly and asked, "Is it Christmas?"
I turned the question around on him. "Is it Christmas?"
He was confused, and admitted he didn't know. He looked out the window, so the bright blue of a spring morning and told me he didn't think so.
"Is it the Fourth of July?" I asked him.
His face brightened and with a big smile he chirped, "Yes! It's Fourth of July!
Hmm, looks like we need to work on his history a bit more.
No comments:
Post a Comment