Tony has a couple new posts on his blog. While we don't work on it every day, he tries to put something on a couple times a month. He is so excited to consider himself a "college kid" because of the music class he's a part of at a local college.
Each Tuesday for the next two months or so, Tony is part of a micro-teaching class. Upper class music education majors at this college are required to prepare lessons to teach music. These lessons are then tested on a small group of children aged 5-15 years old. The children are recruited from the home school co-ops around here. It's our first experience with this event, but if it goes as well as the first class last week, it certainly won't be our last time.
What impressed me most was what I saw when I peeked in the window before the class started. The ladies and their professor were preparing the room and took a minute to gather around and pray. I knew then this was going to be a good thing.
We did go roller skating Saturday night. It was a church sponsored event. You have to understand that Angelo and I are not great social people - Angelo especially. He knows he doesn't have great social skills and is generally nervous around groups of people. So the fact that we went Saturday night - and Angelo went skating is a great event. Even more, he admitted to really enjoying participating.
Tony also mentions going to the art museum. I wasn't sure how well this formal, hands-off place would go over with a five-and-a-half year old, but bringing his friends turned a 45 minute field trip into one almost two hours long. And the kids really enjoyed themselves. Tony did see a model of the Leaning Tower of Pisa, and a fountain that is a replica of one found in Rome. He was excited to see and recognize these artifacts from his studies. Yes, I will admit that I was proud of his knowledge.
It was fun watching the kids look at the pictures, sculptures, glassware, bronzeware, the replicas of Chinese and Japanese dwellings and talk to each other about them. I really do think they learned something even if this trip was more for exposure and awareness of the fine arts.
No comments:
Post a Comment