If you look over at my "More about VJ" column you'll see that one of the things I have done is make my own maple syrup from my own trees. Well, all that extended boiling did in our old electric element stove. Angelo thinks it's because we didn't seat the elements properly after cleaning up one time, and the connectors burnt to ash rendering the elements useless. So for the past eight months or so we've been cooking on two elements, not four like a traditional free standing range has.
Yesterday we went to Tony's favorite store (his favorite right now because of a hit AB* reality program on Sunday nights) to purchase a new stove. As the sales lady and I talked, I told her of my need for a durable stove for canning and making syrup, and she told me that she LOVED maple syrup. So today I went back to this store with a small jar of pure maple syrup and gave it to our kind sales lady. Her eyes lit up when she saw me and when I gave her the jar. I showed her the process we go through to make the syrup and about the syrup rating system in Vermont and where our syrup fits within that system.
Ahh, to make someone's day with a random act of kindness.
No comments:
Post a Comment