Duran Family

Duran Family

Monday, February 21, 2005

The making of a surprise birthday party.

Most of this last week, my best friend M. was working on a surprise birthday party for her husband, Lee. She wanted so much for it to be a surprise she didn't even tell her children and asked that I not tell Tony. There was a lot of "dancing" around she had to do keep everyone off her trail.

On Tuesday we went ice skating. Normally M. sits in the bleachers with her infant niece, whom she babysits and watches the kids. Last week she had to run some errands and asked me to tell the kids that she was taking care of baby. Her oldest son, who just turned ten, didn't buy the excuse, and before long I found him sitting on a bench, crying. I tried to comfort him by telling him that his mom was OK; that she had to run a few errands but that he was not to ask questions. "You will find everything out in time," I told the boy. When M came back later, I told her what had happened.

M and I had made arrangements for me to take the kids to the library after home school co-op so she could order a cake, pick up a few party-related groceries and get gas. Just as we were leaving, Lee pulls up in his van. She told him she had to get gas and then would pick up the kids at the library, because she had already promised them a ride in our new van. Fortunately Lee went home, and M was free to run her secret errands.

She called me early Friday morning to ask me if I could take some things to the church when I go that night for music practice. Lee's brother and sister and their spouses sing in the church praise team, and I would be the one to give the items to them so they could be out of the M's house. M was making a potato salad when she called me, as Lee was out on a business call and would be gone for about two hours.

Later that afternoon she came over with all the supplies she had been secreting in various rooms of her house and brought them into our house. While there, she put together some of her famous veggie meatballs. Because Tony is here he noticed something unusual. We sat down with him and explained what was going on and asked if he could keep this big secret as a favor to her. To help him NOT spill the beans, he did not attend children's services over the weekend and stayed with me instead. He was real good sport about it.

Saturday night, we gathered at Lee's sister's place and finished putting up the decorations and laying out the food. About 6:45 amid a strengthening snow storm we got word M and Lee were on their way.

When Lee walked in he was showered with shouts of "Surprise!" and the Happy Birthday song. He was totally surprised. For all the planning and tiptoeing around M had to do to keep him and the kids from suspecting anything, it worked. I think the best statement of the night was when M gleefully declared "YES! I did it! I pulled off a surprise birthday party!"

We had a great time and he was truly appreciative of all the help his friends and family pitched in to make this party a success.

No comments: