Duran Family

Duran Family

Saturday, January 29, 2005

Wanna know why we're teetotalers?

My husband, Angelo got a phone call from his mother last night. She told him that one of his cousins (I think really a half cousin) on his dad's side was found yesterday afternoon frozen to death in his car. The last time he was seen was Wednesday night leaving a tavern after spending several hours drinking.

As Angelo got off the phone with his mom, he muttered to himself, "And they all wonder why I'm a teetotaler."

This side of my husband's family lives a lifestyle totally foreign to me. I grew up with deeply ingrained religious beliefs (those beliefs go back six generations on my dad's side). Angelo, while he became a Christian at the age of 16, never really fit in or understood this part of his dad's family. Even as a child he was considered an oddball or a black sheep of this part of his family, because he didn't indulge himself in a "good time," as they called it.

No comments: