Duran Family

Duran Family

Thursday, December 30, 2004

Have you considered....

Our family is one with wills and other provisions for care in the case of severe illness or death. But one area I had not thought of until this morning was temporary custody. What if Angelo and I were unable to care for Tony for a few weeks or months because of severe illness and injury. Our wills are effective only upon death, and our health care directives don't dictate what to do with Tony.

My dad brought this to my attention this morning, so I've been working on drawing up an instrument that will allow Angelo and I to dictate what family Tony will go to for temporary care should the need arise rather than our state making that choice. In this instrument I name two families as well as guidelines for choosing a family should the families named are unable or unwilling to provide temporary care. I also outline how Tony should be treated, educated, and what guidance should be available to him should he need it.

I am a big believer in keeping the state out of my personal business, and that personal business includes how my son is raised and who cares for him.

Just thought I mention it here. I hate the thought of dying; but even more I hate the thought of dying and not have provisions for Tony to be placed in a loving, religious home.

No comments: