About nine days ago, Angelo was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. On Monday this week he and I had a meeting with the diabetic nurse. One thing she mentioned that we already knew about was that stress is a factor for diabetes. When she asked how much stress we've had in our lives, Angelo and I could only look at each other and laugh. How's this for stress?
February, 2003 We are involved in a head-on crash, losing our 2000 Grand Caravan. No injuries, but a great inconvenience.
February, 2003 (two weeks later) Angelo and I are pinked slipped - five hours apart. I lose my job in May, Angelo was supposed to lose his job in April but was extended until June.
Late June/Early July 2003, Angelo's dad is diagnosed with Gliosarcoma a incurable and deadly brain cancer. Angelo takes the first bus to another state to be at his dad's bedside. Angelo ends up driving his mom, niece and nephew back to Florida and is gone for ten days
August, 2003 - I suffer two deaths in my family within five days of each other.
September 2003 - Our remaining car kills itself by throwing a rod. Two days later, Tony and I leave on the train to spend a week with my parents as they deal with the loss of my dad's father and uncle. In the meantime Angelo is adjusting to a new, temporary job.
November, 2004 Suffer a major scare with Angelo's dad; we were within two hours of leaving for Florida.
We have a little break in the stress for the most part, though worry about father-in-law is increasing as he declines in health.
February 5-8 2004 Angelo flies to Florida to say goodbye to his dad. His dad dies a week later on
February 14.
March, 2004 Angelo leaves one temp job and begins another.
June, 2004 My mom is diagnosed with breast cancer
July, 2004 Mom undergoes cancer surgery
August, 2004 My brother is diagnosed with diabetes
August 2004, my grandmother passes away 11 1/2 months after her husband and brother-in-law pass away.
September 2004, my mother suffers from respiratory failure
October 2004, my dad is diagnosed with diabetes, and Tony and I fly to Washington to spend a week with my parents.
November 1, 2004 my husband is diagnosed with diabetes.
Mixed in with all this is the continuing worry about finances, worry about mother-in-law and stressful working environments. Have we had stress the past two years? Yeah, I think we have.
But there are two ways to look at all this. When things seemed their darkest something good seemed to happen. Read on.
No comments:
Post a Comment