Duran Family

Duran Family

Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

As I mentioned here, Stargazer posted a challenge I'm taking her up on. I will be posting some memories, and journal entries from holidays past for all to read. I start tonight with an entry from twenty years ago - 1984. It was my junior year in high school (my brother and I attended a boarding parochial school), and we are home for the long weekend. My brother's roommate's parents were missionaries to India at the time so he came to our house for the weekend.

From VJ's Journal -

November 22, 1984 Thanksgiving Thursday
Happy Thanksgiving everybody, and welcome the official opening of the holidays. My brother and his roommate Theo were going to go diving. In fact, there were in the water and even started to go down when Theo realized that twenty pounds on his weight belt was not enough. By the time they got the belts off, the weights on and the struggle to get the belt back on Theo, they'd lost the tide.

Grandma and Grandpa were up here nice and early and are spending the night.

I spent some time playing my flute, watching TV and helping Mom.

November 23, 1984 Friday
Well, Mom made sure we were all up and at it by 8:00. No sleeping in THIS morning.
After breakfast, my brother and Theo made another try at diving. This time they were successful. It was cold and rainy outside, but the water was unusually clear. We could see their colorful wet suits even when they were almost at the bottom. When they first got into the water, they were ahooten' and aholleren' because it was so cold. But I guess they got used to it.

After they got back, we cleaned house a little, then had lunch.

Dad and I set out this afternoon to Credit Union to set up a new checking and savings account. After a 45-50 minute wait, we were finally called. When the bank officials found out I was not yet eighteen, they wouldn't let me open an account even if it was a joint account with Dad. Needless to say, I was disappointed. But Dad and I talked it over, and we decided we would try to get an account opened at the County Bank. Sure enough, they let me open one with Dad. So I now have my own checking account. My printed checks should be here in about ten days.

Now, if only I could have gotten by driver's permit renewed. They were closed today because of the Thanksgiving holiday.

* * *
I know, not horribly exciting stuff, but how often does SCUBA diving and Thanksgiving go together?

As far as around here is concerned, Tony and I got our Christmas tree up, and the important ornaments on. I will talk more about our Christmas tree ornaments in another post; they are worthy of the special holiday memories and traditions I will try to post between now and Christmas eve.

No comments: